On Route to Success
Joining Tavistock College as a student, member of staff or friend marks the start of a journey. At Tavistock College we think it is important that everyone helps each other through this journey. In the Tavistock College community:
We promote and nurture the following qualities in our students, staff and friends:
- Happiness, a sense of humour, fun and a sense of community spirit.
- Trustworthiness, politeness, inquisitiveness, confidence and compassion.
- A sense of teamwork that allows others to learn and achieve.
- Self respect and respect for all people and their opinions.
- An appreciation and tolerance of cultures different to our own.
- Responsibility for ourselves, our actions and behaviour towards others.
- An appreciation of our environment both locally and globally.
- An appreciation of the benefits of leading a healthy and active life.
- Pride in a professional appearance and manner.
- An appreciation of the importance of good attendance and punctuality.
- The ability to reflect.
We strive to bring success to students, staff and friends by:
- Providing stimulating learning opportunities that motivate independent learners.
- Recognising and rewarding the progress learners make.
- Providing opportunities to participate in adventures, projects,competitions and other additional activities.
- Enabling them to take pride in their College by being involved in decisions, day-to-day operations and by celebrating success.
The College will provide space and time within its physical and organisational structures to achieve this.
We promote, develop and celebrate the personal interests of our students, staff and friends by:
- Providing visits and trips that complement the curriculum and others that are for fun and promote team building, create friendships and offer new experiences.
- Being openly receptive of ideas and enterprises to raise money for charity, get involved in the local community, improve the College environment and act as its representatives.
- Providing information on, and opportunities to participate in, a range of sport and leisure activities.
- Providing, where possible, transport for students to and from enrichment activities.
- Recognising participation with relevant and individual rewards.
- Sharing and celebrating individual and group successes.
- Offering opportunities for students to work across the year groups finding those who share their interests and sharing their interests with those who do not.
- Offering time to discuss hobbies, interests and passions so that people within the College get to know each other.
Through such activities the College will enable its community to gain the personal qualities we promote, whilst building successful relationships and recognising personal horizons.
At Tavistock College students, staff and friends achieve academic, work related and extra curricular successes that are most suited to individual needs, personal aspirations and career ambitions.
The College will provide opportunities to achieve qualifications such as: GCSEs, A Levels, BTECs, Basic First Aid, Duke of Edinburgh Awards, Driving Theory Test, Childcare Certificates, Food Hygiene Certificates, Sports Coaching Awards, ICT Competence Certificates. This achievement is supported by:
- Providing the resources, training and accommodation to facilitate the widest possible range of learning experiences.
- Providing guidance, information and access to experts to ensure that decisions are informed, and have the individual’s future at the heart of the process.
- Providing high quality teaching and supporting the professional development of staff.
- Monitoring and evaluating the progress of students and taking prompt action where improvements can be achieved, involving parents and others as appropriate.
- Ensuring that access to qualifications is not age-restrictive, thus providing the right opportunities at the right time.
The College is committed to reviewing what is on offer to its community and the best way to provide this, whilst building on the successes of the past and present. The College believes that success is an ‘attitude’ that is achievable by all, and through our time at Tavistock College we can all be “On Route to Success”.
Tuesday, May 14, 2013